Links

Thursday 1 December 2016

Otaku Collection 2016: November Update | MCM Birmingham Pickups, Final Fantasy XV & Shinkai Films

This is probably my best haul of pickups since May 2015. Thanks to the combined haul from MCM Birmingham Comic Con plus the All the Anime sets I picked up and a few others.



The November haul contains 10 different items, 1 of which is video game based.

#1 | Children Who Chase Lost Voices


The first anime pickup of the month wasn't planned, but considering it was going for cheap on Amazon US I figured I'll go ahead and buy it, especially as I went to see Makoto Shinkai's Your Name at the UK cinema. Due to Uni I haven't had the time to watch the film just yet, but Sentai Filmworks have done a nice job with this re-release.

You can view the unboxing here.

#2 | Psycho Pass: The Movie


I wanted to make use of the £5 store discount from PureHMV and discovered the film was available for £19.99 so I ended up getting it for £14.99 instead. I'll be saving this for once I pick up Psycho Pass 2.

You can view the unboxing here.

#3 | Your Lie in April: Part 1


A few days later my early bird pre-order from All the Anime arrived. As much I would have wanted the Aniplex version I felt the value of the US sets weren't enough to make up for the high price, especially as the soundtrack was available standalone (unlike other sets such as Fate). The UK release is very well done but it suffers from a similar issue that Kill la Kill Box 3 had with the MCM batch - the digipack is difficult to remove from the packaging. A replacement scheme is in the works at least.

You can view the unboxing here.

#4 | MCM Birmingham Comic Con Haul


And just a few days after that I went to MCM Birmingham Comic Con with my anime society. I wasn't planning on going at first but considering Birmingham wasn't far off I figured it would be a good way for me to pickup some sets at a reasonable price compared to what the online retailers were providing. As such I picked up The Vision of Escaflowne Ultimate Edition first followed by a 40 minute chat with Andrew Partridge. Then I walked around the MCM place and decided I should pickup Gundam Reconguista in G before it could sell out. Had some lunch with a few friends and went ahead to get The Tatami Galaxy (I was deciding on whether to get this or Blood Blockade Battlefront since they were both the same price). After spending more time looking around the place the MCM was nearing it's closing time so I bought Outlaw Star and Sword Art Online II Part 2. SAO II Part 2 was more of a case where the online prices were stupid so I got it for £25. After that I spent another 40 minutes talking to Andrew Partridge. We pretty much spoke about a bunch of existing licenses, and a surprising few but I'm not going to tell you because that would be very daft.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:
 - Gundam Reconguista in G
 - Outlaw Star
 - Sword Art Online II: Part 2
 - The Tatami Galaxy
 - The Vision of Escaflowne

#5 | Makoto Shinkai Twin Pack


Not long after the weekend the Shinkai Twin Pack arrived. This set had been delayed for a couple years but I can finally own The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star on Blu-ray (though the latter is more of an upscale). I've seen Place Promised before and really enjoyed it, but I think I saw it dubbed I can't remember now. It's a good set as a whole.

You can view the unboxing here.

#6 | Final Fantasy XV


The final pickup of the month is a game that I had waited 10 years for. Although the game's direction and progress has changed over time, I'm glad to finally own the game. Now despite going to the midnight launch I haven't played the game yet, and that's because of Uni. I got the Deluxe Edition because I wanted to match the Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Steelbook and I also picked up the strategy guide.

You can view the unboxing here.

And that's it for this month's pickups. There's a few more titles incoming so here's the current schedule.

Eden of the East - Anime Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (not) Alone - Anime Limited Collector's Edition (Combo)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb - Sentai Filmworks Collector's Edition (Combo)
Mai Mai Miracle - Anime Limited Collector's Edition (Combo)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Funimation Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
The Silver Case - Limited Run Games Limited Edition (PC)

So stay tuned. Eden and Evangelion are January 2017 titles, while the rest are for December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive