Links

Monday 1 January 2018

Otaku Collection 2017: December Update | Genius Sales & Genius Christmas Haul

It's officially 2018 woo. 2017 has been a wild year and to my surprise the December haul has been its biggest since my time at University in terms of anime. In fact the haul is so huge that three items got pushed back to 2018 due to shipping issues.


For this update we have 1 live-action Japanese film, 8 anime box sets, and 2 video games.


#01 | A Silent Voice
The first anime of the month is A Silent Voice which got pushed back by over a month due to apparently a mishap with the stock (I've been told that it went to Amazon instead of Shop AllTheAnime). Anywho the film has finally arrived and it looks great. The posters from the A3 bundle did not arrive on-time and won't be shipped out until January 2018 but overall it's a release worth owning. I saw the film back in February 2017 and it's very good, different to the manga source material as well.

You can view the unboxing here.


#02 | FREEDOM
The next item is the only anime import for this month's haul. FREEDOM is a series that I watched many years ago through Manga UK's Blu-ray copy and while I enjoyed it the actual set itself was more or less a 'budget' type release. The Bandai Visual release was a replica of the Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box and surprisingly it was still around for as low as $14.99 so I finally caved in and bought it. It dodged customs as expected though others who bought it at $19.99 weren't so lucky.

You can view the unboxing here.


#03 | Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond
The next anime is a brand new release picked up from the Anime Limited Christmas sales. Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond is a 12 short film collection from 12 different directors. It's actually pretty good and while some of them have confusing storylines the animation and music is great. This collector's set is also pretty neat with a detailed making of book bundled in. There is a standard edition set for those who just want the short films alone.

You can view the unboxing here.


#04 | Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni-
Next up we have a new PlayStation Vita game joining the collection with Valkyrie Drive. The story behind this was that I had initially planned on acquiring the special edition but I never bothered to get it in the end. The stock for the standard edition eventually got low to the point where prices spiked up and I found one pre-owned at a local game store.


#05 | Sword of the Stranger
Like FREEDOM we have another double-dip release with Anime Limited's version of Sword of the Stranger, thanks to the Anime Limited Christmas sales. Sword of the Stranger is a great film and I simply wanted a nicer release for my shelf and this version came along. I got it for a decent price so it paid off in the end.

You can view the unboxing here.


#06 | Noein ~to your other self~
Next up we have a series that was one of the first I experienced when getting into anime. Noein is a cool and very under-rated series with a neat English dub. I watched the show via Xbox's digital video service many years ago and now I have a Blu-ray copy to make use of. The bloopers are also included as well which is neat. The series was also acquired thanks to the Anime Limited Christmas sales for as low as £4.99 which is quite a surprise and I got pretty lucky as it sold out fast.

You can view the unboxing here.


#07 | The Christmas 2017 Haul
Last but not the least we have the Christmas Day 2017 haul with four anime sets, one live-action Japanese film, and one video game plus other mini tidbits. The anime sets are Ajin: Demi-Human Season 1 & Movie 1, Assassination Classroom Season 1 Parts 1 & 2, and Claymore. Ajin was requested from an early bird deal back in November while the other three were thanks to the Anime Limited Christmas sales.

The film acquired for the Asian Cinema collection is Shin Godzilla which is a pretty cool movie and at times rather unpredictable with the way it was going. For the games we have Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX- for the PlayStation 4 as it went on sale during Black Friday so I decided to include it with the haul.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:

And that is it for the month of December 2017. In case you missed it I also posted my complete otaku collection update showcasing my entire anime/manga/games collection as of 30th December 2017.

Now as for what to expect for 2018 well unfortunately I'm still job hunting and it's only going to be much harder from here on. The anime releases from all of the distributors is going to get hectic as well with more and more Crunchyroll x Funimation titles getting released.

The good news is that there is at least three Anime Limited sets coming soon as they were all left overs from the Anime Limited Christmas sale due to shipment delays. I'm also going to try and sort out my video game collection hauls as much as I can, completing my aim for 100 PlayStation 3 games hopefully before Summer begins as part of my Operation PS3 Haul. I also plan to start Operation Vita Haul as well since there's actually a fair amount of games to get for the device.

But any-who, 2018 is now here. Thank you to everybody who's had a chance to take a look at my blog over the years I know it's helped folks out on whether they wanted a certain anime or not. Hopefully I can keep the pace going for the new year and stay tuned for any future unboxings. I might also make more overview unboxings for a number of catalogue titles in my collection just to keep the blog going.

Don't forget that I'll be making articles over on Anime UK News if you want to know what I've been up to every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive