Links

Sunday 1 July 2018

Otaku Collection 2018: May/June Update | Birthday Haul plus Gundams, Out of Print Games & Anime!

May and June have been packed with a lot of games, but along the way it was also my birthday so I have a couple more anime for the collection!


For this update we have 7 anime box sets, and 11 video games.


May 2018 | #1 | Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 and Everybody's Golf: World Tour
Throughout the month of May I acquired a bunch of games for the collection. This first haul is for two pretty rare PlayStation 3 games released during the early years of the console. DW: Gundam 2 is the only Gundam Musou game that I never managed to play before and this moment was a good opportunity for me to finally own it. Alongside DW: Gundam 2 I also found Everybody's Golf: World Tour which is also known as Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds in the US and Everybody's Golf 5 in Japan. I like golf games from this franchise thanks to the Vita instalment so I was surprised to find this game in stores given it's not mentioned much throughout the years.


May 2018 | #2 | Another Century's Episode R and Mobile Suit Gundam UC
If you remember my previous otaku collection update I brought up the whole mishap with Solaris Japan about one of my games being misplaced by accident. Well in order to get it I had to order another product and I went with Mobile Suit Gundam UC since I wanted to own it and it was still cheap. The game came and so did the missing item which was Another Century's Episode R. Haven't gotten the time to check out both of these just yet but it's nice to finally have some closure to that daft mishap.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:


May 2018 | #3 | Chaos;Child
The last item for the month of May is a surprise discovery in GAME. Chaos;Child is a visual novel I've been after for a while and the version that I wanted was the limited edition that came with the artbook. My local retailer thankfully had a copy in store and also on sale for £9.99 so I didn't want to miss out on the offer. 

You can view the unboxing here.


June 2018 | #1 | Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
The first item for the month of June could have arrived in May but the distributors were dealing with MCM Comic Con so it shipped later than usual. I actually put this early bird offer off for weeks until the very last minute primarily because I ran out of funds, however I decided to go with it regardless because it's shop exclusive. It's a very nice release and I can't wait to finally watch this well-loved film.

You can view the unboxing here.


June 2018 | #2 | Lupin the Third Part IV (Japanese Version)
Lupin the Third Part IV is a great series and the distributor decided to release the subtitled version first, and after some debates on whether I should wait for the Discotek version or not I decided in the end to go with the UK one. The release is great as well and thanks to the early bird I can get the dubbed version for a discount when it becomes available.
You can view the unboxing here.


June 2018 | #3 | Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Next we have one of two games where it goes out of print and I wanted to own it but I missed out on it. Here we have Utawarerumono 2, known as Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, which I just barely managed to get at a good price by having to acquire it pre-owned for £14.99. The game did go on sale a fair few times but I underestimated how soon it would sell out. The sequel game is still around at least.


June 2018 | #4 | Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 1
Next up we have another anime I acquired via early bird back in May with Love Live! Sunshine!! and this one was a priority primarily because the print run for the collector's edition is halved from 1000 to 500. It's a really nice set and it's now going out of print.

You can view the unboxing here.


June 2018 | #5 | Dynasty Warriors: Gundam, Ridge Racer 7 and White Knight Chronicles II
Next we have another PlayStation 3 haul with three more games to the collection. Dynasty Warriors Gundam I played back on Xbox 360 and I've been after a retail copy for a while, and I found it in GAME though it doesn't have its manual but I'm fine with it since all I wanted was a retail copy at this point. Ridge Racer is a franchise I don't believe I properly had a go on so I heard the 7th instalment was the last good one before the next ones didn't fare well in reviews. And White Knight Chronicles was recommended to me by a friend so I found it and acquired it when I saw it available.


June 2018 | #6 | Animerama
When I watched Belladonna of Sadness last year I was curious about what the previous films in the Animerama trilogy were all about since Tezuka & Yamamoto produced all of them as adult anime. When Third Window Films acquired the license I was intrigued and now I finally own them on Blu-ray. So far I have watched 1001 Nights and it's a bizarre but rather interesting film overall.

You can view the unboxing here.


June 2018 | #7 | Re:ZERO Part 1 and Rokka [Birthday Haul Part 1]
For my birthday I wanted to try and get a couple more Anime Limited releases, and these two were the more expensive ones from the early birds shown off over the past two months. There was Hyouka Part 2 but I decided to focus on Rokka instead. I have already seen Re:ZERO and this first part release is nicely packaged (the video quality I'm aware of), while I never got the chance to watch Rokka and this UK release is unique so I wanted to prioritise on it in case it sells out.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:


June 2018 | #8 | Jak & Daxter HD Collection and Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin I-IV [Birthday Haul Part 2]
Since I only requested those two Anime Ltd sets I was given some extra funds as a birthday gift so I can acquire more items. The first was Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin I-IV which is going out of print much sooner than I had expected and it was pretty good to acquire price-wise at the moment. I actually did plan on pre-ordering the set while it was on early bird but I changed my mind when the price offer was only a £2 difference to the normal prices going around.

The second item is a HD trilogy for PS3 that I never really bothered with until recently as I have been completing my journey to get 100 PS3 games. The Jak & Daxter trilogy I technically owned via PlayStation Plus but I never had a go on them properly and since I don't have that subscription I can't play them. So I found the collection in CeX for £15 and I went for it.

You can view the unboxings for the following here:


June 2018 | #9 | Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys VIII is the last pickup for the month of June, and it was a pretty interesting situation. Long story short I bought the game pre-owned for £39.99 in GAME (condition was solid so I had no issues about that) and there are two reasons for going pre-owned: the 1st reason is that the game is sold out online across both Europe & US and the 2nd reason is because NIS America damaged the franchise a lot with this release. All versions encountered issues and I did not want to support them for this instance (pre-owned games go towards the stores rather than the publishers). The game isn't cheap and I even tried to get it on eBay which ended up having a bid go from £21 to £53 in seconds, that's how rare it is at the moment.

And that is everything I have acquired for the months of May and June 2018. As you can see I managed to get a lot more games this time thanks to the pre-owned business. I now went from 83 games to 91 games for the PlayStation 3 collection, so there's only 9 more games to find before moving on to other platforms (Vita & PS4). Here are the titles below that I'm currently interested to get for the PS3:

Imports:
 - Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen
 - Sakigake!! Otoko Juku: Nihonyo Korega Otoko Dearu
 - Sengoku Musou 2 HD Collection
 - Sengoku Musou 3
 - Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition

Original PS3 border titles:
 - Afro Samurai
 - Eternal Sonata
 - Katamari Forever

Current PS3 border titles:
 - Lolipop Chainsaw
 - Ratchet & Clank HD Collection
 - Rocksmith
 - Sly Cooper HD Collection
 - Tears to Tiara II

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive