Links

Monday 1 June 2015

Otaku Collection 2015: May Update | MCM Pickups and more Limited Edition sets

I've finished my second year of Uni and now back home for the summer (and depending on when I'm able to sort out my work placement). May was a pretty wild month for my otaku collection with some huge collector's edition titles and a one-of chance to go to MCM Comic Con again. It's time to show off what sets I picked up for the month of May 2015.


Pickup #1 | the Garden of Sinners: recalled out summer

First title this month was a late arrival from April. recalled out summer is the latest Garden of sinners movie and is the only title in the series to receive a localised Blu-ray release from Aniplex of America, as the Japanese version doesn't contain English subtitles. It's also my first Aniplex pre-order and the reason behind this decision was because the previous Garden of sinners releases sold out and are somewhat popular so I wanted to play it safe. Still going through the main films at the moment but it's nice to finally own the franchise on Blu-ray, the set also contains the extra chorus which is an OVA for the new film.


Pickup #2 | Master Keaton manga and Monster manga

Next up is some more manga pickups from Waterstones. I decided to go with Master Keaton and Monster since I always wanted to read some Urasawa works since reading the first volume of Pluto (which I still need to pickup more volumes and complete). I started Master Keaton and it's rather episodic so it's going to take a while for me to read through that series. Haven't started Monster yet but I know that it's going to be an interesting read.


Pickup #3 | K-On! Houkago Live!! HD ver.

Another Japanese import joins the collection. This title was on sale on Play Asia so I decided to order it, it's been on my 'to play' list for quite some time so I'm happy to pick this game up. I did take me a while to start it up because the game added PSP settings to the console and set 3D to default. Other than that it's a nice rhythm game.


Pickup #4 | Genshiken: Second Generation

This one was a random pickup. I found out that the set sold out on NIS America and figured it could have potentially sold out permanently. As such I decided to make the set a priority to buy then suddenly I was offered the set at a lower price at 'like new' condition which I accepted. This marks the second NISA set I own with the 2015 style model (DVD size sets instead of artbook style sets).


Pickup #5 | Fate/Zero (Box Set 2)

I just had to get this set. Back in February I bought the first half and was originally going to get the second half in March but then Sword Art Online ended up going OOP which resulted in me delaying this item for a couple of months. With some cash left I bought it without a second decision because if I left it for another couple of months it could potentially sell out. The series is really good and after finishing it off I then went straight into Unlimited Blade Works on Crunchyroll. I will get the older versions of Fate/stay night and Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works film in the future before Aniplex releases a domestic version of the new adaptation.


Pickup #6 | Tales of Hearts R

The thing about this game was that I had no idea the print run was relatively low and as such I recently found out it had become unavailable on major website retailers like Amazon, Rice Digital and various others. After finishing my last exam, I remembered GAME had some copies available so I went to the store and to my luck it was still there for £24.99. Haven't started it yet due to the backlog I currently have for Vita but still it's nice to have another Tales game added to my collection.


Pickup #7 | Knights of Sidonia Season 1

Arriving a couple of weeks early is Knights of Sidonia and it's the third collector's edition box set Sentai Filmworks has done and my second (I haven't picked up High School of the Dead yet, will do at some point). Haven't started watching the series yet but I hear the Netflix dub is very well done which is a bonus.


Pickup #8 | MCM Comic Con: Air, Kanon, Kill la Kill, Royal Space Force plus JoJo manga

Now the big one. I went to MCM Comic Con for the second time and despite what happened back in October I managed to come back spending less than my friends expected me to do. My initial aim was to get a dozen Anime Limited sets but half of them ended up being cheaper elsewhere (Kill la Kill Box 2 and Tiger & Bunny: The Rising to be specific, though the latter ended up getting delayed to late this month) while also picking up various items. Unfortunately I realised my funds would be in danger so I decided to limit my budget to £100-150 for the convention. In the end I only spend £100 towards Kill la Kill Box 3 and Royal Space Force from Anime Limited, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Volume 2 from Viz Media, and Air and Kanon from Otaku UK. Otaku UK had the same type of shows from last time so I went with the classic Key/Kyoto Ani shows I have yet to see.


Pickup #9 | Darker Than Black Season 1, Durarara!! and Hyperdimension Neptunia

The last items of the month went to the arrival of Funimation's latest releases Darker Than Black Season 1 and Hyperdimension Neptunia, and my replacement discs for Durarara!!. A lot of people who ordered through United Publications got theirs on Thursday while I got mine on Friday, this was due to the delivery to my accommodation and where they placed the parcel. It went into the reception because of the size but I was happy that I managed to at least get the parcel before leaving the place. Hyperdimension Neptunia and Durarara!! were at home so they were safe and sound. Neptunia actually arrived a week early which is a nice surprise and I'm glad the video game cast have returned for the English dub because it works so well haha. As for Durarara!!, Anime Limited figured it would be best to dispatch the standard edition copies rather than the discs but I kept the set and will probably do an overview post on it at some point this week.


And that's all of the things I had bought in the month of May. It's a big month and I do my best to add more titles as things go along throughout the year. So what's coming to my collection in the month of June? So far three titles are confirmed; A Lull in the Sea/Nagi no Asukara (NIS America), Expelled from Paradise (Aniplex USA) and Tiger & Bunny: The Rising (Anime Limited). This month also has my birthday so we may see some more items crop up at some point. As for some bad news I had to cancel my order on No Game No Life but have no fear I will get the set at a later point.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing your unboxings. I've been looking for a place that actually shows off the products (and not just the marketing materials).

    You've helped me numerous times with deciding whether or not to buy those Limited Edition/Premium Edition animes.
    I initially found this blog via Google Images searching for one of the products that you posted about. I've been coming back every since!

    Thanks again & have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's quite surprising how a lot of the photos I put on this blog actually end up on the Google search, but I'm glad to see it's helped you out.

      I plan to get a couple more sets added onto the blog at some point! I don't have a schedule (besides the monthly collections) but I generally provide a mini update on the Otaku Collection page to let people know in advance what shows I have planned to arrive.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive