Links

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Otaku Collection 2014: March Update | Durarara!!, GATTAI!! Movie Set & more

A day late but that's because of April Fools. So here's the otaku collection update for March 2014:



Let's start with the first pickup.

Pickup 1 - Various
A rather strange pickup which ended up making me broke for the end of the month. I originally intended to pickup the Gravity movie and Senran Kagura Burst on 3DS, but to avoid slight embarrassment with the later I bought Tales of Symphonia Chronicles alongside Burst in GAME. Results were flawless and funny at the same time. After that I wanted to find a copy of Sleeping Dogs on PS3 and I found R.O.D. TV in its original released form (i.e. artbox). Unfortunately however I felt the artbox edition doesn't justify in comparison to the US and JP artboxes so in the future I will be replacing this version with the simple slimpack versions that are the current versions (like Berserk).

Unboxing - R.O.D. the TV (Artbox Edition)

Pickup 2 - Psycho-Pass: Premium Edition
A delay which led to a sudden early appearance. Psycho Pass arrived early in a much better condition that I expected. People over in Fandom Post suffered from artbox scratches and now with the recent fixed version an artbox that can't fit the cases. At the time of this post I've watched the first eight episodes in Japanese, this show is now one of my favourites. Thankfully this set contains the entire first season and it's soundtrack!

Unboxing - Psycho-Pass: Season 1 (Premium Edition)

Pickup 3 - Some manga and some Limited Edition sets
Now for the big ones, let's start with the manga. I picked up two different mangas from my collection which are part of the Viz Media Signature line (bigger than normal manga but mainly the same thing); Jormungand and Pluto. Jormungand is an action-orientated series similar to Black Lagoon about a child soldier working for an arms dealer. It's a great volume. Pluto on the other hand, is one stunning manga series. Based on the classic Astro Boy series but re-modernised with the famous manga creator of Monster, Pluto is a scifi thriller where a robot detective tries to find out who caused the murder of the world's famous robot. I also grabbed the third volume of Yotsubato, since the third volume is as rare as the other two.

After buying my manga from my local sci-fi shop, the LE sets arrived. Both of these sets went out of print and purchased from Rightstuf. The Gunbuster vs Diebuster GATTAI set is a movie version of the Gainax OVA series Diebuster and it's sequel Gunbuster. The set is my first Japanese BD-Box but translated thanks to the co-operation of Bandai and Beez for an international release. The other set I bought was the second season of Baka & Test, you may remember that the first season was my very first import so it's a good honour to end a whole year of pickups (and surprisingly the 1st anniversary of my blog) with the last remaining LE set available. The first LE set doesn't match the second season so I'm not that fussed.

Unboxing - Baka & Test: Summon the Beasts: Season 2 (Limited Edition)
Unboxing - Gunbuster vs Diebuster: Aim for the Top! GATTAI!! BD-Box (Limited Edition)

Pickup 4 - Durarara!! & Rurouni Kenshin: VIZBIG Edition Volume 1
The final pickup for March was the latest release from Anime Limited, Durarara!! on Blu-ray. This release in terms of packaging is very good and I'm glad it's a complete set and not split up like Manga UK usually does. The only disappointment I have is due to the Siren masters for this release. If you like watching Durarara!! in Japanese then I have some bad news for you. Then again, the English viewers don't have a signs only track which is missing in all three major English releases. The other item is a surprise that came out of nowhere. I managed to grab the first volume of Rurouni Kenshin VIZBIG in Forbidden Planet which if you look up on Amazon is rather pricey and very rare.

Unboxing - Durarara!!: Season 1 (Collector's Edition UK)

So that's all for my March collection update, I did promise a few more but for financial reasons I had to delay them till April but I promise you all that month will be better. Here's what I have planned throughout Q2:
 - Attack on Titan, Part 1 - Limited Edition
 - Berserk Golden Age Arc (Egg of the King (US Edition), Battle for Doldrey & The Advent)
 - Blood-C - Complete Series Limited Edition
 - Blood-C: The Last Dark - Film Limited Edition (UK Edition)
 - Date A Live - Season 1 Limited Edition
 - Eureka Seven, Part 1 - Limited Edition
 - Gurren Lagann - Ultimate Edition (UK Edition) ~ Includes uncut TV Episodes, OVA Episodes & Movies
 - Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends NEXT - Season 2 Limited Edition
 - K - Complete Series Limited Edition
 - Nisemonogatari - Complete Series Limited Edition
 - Ranma 1/2 - Set 1 Limited Edition
 - Shakugan no Shana - Season 1 SAVE
 - Shakugan no Shana - Season 2 (Part 1 Limited Edition & Part 2 Standard)
 - Shakugan no Shana - Season 3 (Part 1 Limited Edition & Part 2 Standard)
 - Strike Witches - Season 1 (either SAVE or standard)
 - Strike Witches - Season 2 Limited Edition
 - Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning - Film Limited Edition (UK Edition)

Various MVM Blu-ray titles are being considered but they depend on the quality of the product before I will consider them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive