Links

Monday 1 October 2018

Otaku Collection 2018: September Update | Catching Up On The Hauls

After 15 months I can finally make proper progress with my hauls now that I have proper income to live on. Of course most of it will go towards bills and food but there's enough to keep these hauls going.

September's update focuses more on the PlayStation 4 collection as well as a few tidbits of everything, plus I picked up some manga as well.


For this update we have 13 video games, 6 anime titles and 2 manga volumes.


#01 | .hack//G.U. Last Recode
The first item of the month is a game I picked up just before I moved into my new flat. I always wanted to check out the .hack franchise and I wanted to make sure I acquired this game before it was too late. This game for those who don't know is a HD remaster of three instalments of .hack//G.U. released back on the PS2 but only for US and Japan (Europe never got them). It also includes a recap of the first four .hack games and a new chapter to the G.U. franchise.


#02 | Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue-
Well this took long enough. I finally acquired (and actually finished playing as well) the 2.8 collection in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III due this January. I ordered this to test out the postage for my new address and it arrived pretty late for Prime shipping which was fairly annoying but regardless it arrived so the address worked. This collection covers the HD remaster of the 3DS instalment Dream Drop Distance and also a prologue for Kingdom Hearts III using the upcoming game's engine and gameplay elements.


#03a | Lu Over the Wall and The Night is Short, Walk on Girl
While I went to town I also spotted these two in HMV for a reasonable price considering the Anime Limited collector's editions generally go for £25-35. The other reason for picking these two up is because of the PureHMV membership where if you earn enough points you can use them to get a store discount. I figured it might come in handy later down the line. Both of these films are from Masaaki Yuasa who's been becoming more and more known over the past year.


#03b | Arcana Heart 3 Love Max, Eternal Sonata and Tears to Tiara II
Not long after HMV I checked out CeX and to my surprise they had a decent offering of video games and I picked up the fighting game Arcana Heart 3 Love Max, the RPG game that was initially on Xbox but got an updated version on PlayStation called Eternal Sonata and also a part visual novel part RPG game that I've been meaning to get for quite a while called Tears to Tiara II. All three were in solid condition and also cheap to acquire thankfully.


#04 | Zero Escape: The Nonary Games and Zero Time Dilemma
Much like Kingdom Hearts I once again wanted to test out the Prime shipping to see if it would actually arrive at normal time for once. I managed to find the Zero Escape games on Amazon UK under Prime shipping so I ordered them. What's notable for these two is that they are actually the North American versions, as Aksys Games did release European copies but they were ridiculously hard to find or overpriced. Always wanted to check out this visual novel series as well so I'm happy to get them finally.


#05a | Momotaro Sacred Sailors
Another trip to the HMV shop and I went for Momotaro. Same price as the other two Anime Limited films I acquired earlier. Not much to say about this one other than it's got a historical significance in the anime industry, given it was made back in 1945.


#05b | Afro Samurai, Lollipop Chainsaw and Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner MARS
More video game hauls from town! First up we have Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner MARS from GAME, this is another HD remaster of the PS2 game but this time Cygames handled the development instead of High Voltage Software (and then later on Hexa Drive who had to fix their mess). This PS4 version is a proper HD remaster plus it also has optional VR support so that's real neat. I like ZOTE so I hope this does well for the developers to gain interest in making a new one later down the line.

Also picked up are Afro Samurai and Lollipop Chainsaw from CeX. These two I did initially plan to get in the same day as the other three PS3 games however I played it safe given you need ID for 18+ titles (and in this instance they didn't ask for it anyway). I already finished Afro Samurai on Xbox so this was more of a case where I wanted to own a copy in case I wanted to replay it later down the line. Lollipop Chainsaw has been on my list to get for months so I now finally own it and thus in a sense acquiring every Suda51 game on PS3.


#06 | Fate/Extella and Gal*Gun: Double Peace
Next we have two more PS4 games this time ordered from Base for a change. Fate/Extella I have been meaning to check out for games and I figured now was a good time to do so considering its sequel is due for release in Q1 2019 for the west. And this time I finally have Gal*Gun: Double Peace on the right platform, I've been pretty unlucky with this franchise so I hope it actually works on the console lol.


#07 | Sekirei manga volumes
While I was in town with a friend I also visited the bookstore that handles manga and a few other things. I decided to pick up the first two omnibus volumes for Sekirei which covers volumes 1-4. I like the anime series so I wanted to check out the original source material.


#08 | No Game No Life Zero
This anime arrived a day after I moved out of the house so I requested it to be delivered to my new flat and it arrived. It's now out of print as well which is interesting but either way I finally own it. Haven't watched it but the box itself is pretty nice. Sentai's wrapping did damage the box a bit but there's nothing you can do about that.


#09 | And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online? and My First Girlfriend is a Gal
Next we have our first batch of imports from Funimation. I went with Netoge no Yome (Girl Online? show) and Hajimete no Gal as the first picks, both I watched during simulcast. I liked these shows enough to consider their limited edition sets and they admittedly weren't cheap but they arrived in pretty solid condition from Amazon US.


#10 | Yakuza Kiwami 2
And the final arrival of the month is Yakuza Kiwami 2 in its steelbook form from GAME. I decided to get the game as soon as possible so that I wouldn't miss out on the consistency with the first game's steelbook. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a remake of Yakuza 2 from the PS2 era and it's been tweaked so that it follows the events of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami this time around, and I still have yet to play Yakuza 0 heh.

Additional Notes
That's every item I received during the month of September. As I now have a proper job I'm going to do my best to try and catch up as quick as possible on the anime and games that have been out over the past couple of years. Even at University I was still far behind on a number of stuff.

So far I have ordered a couple anime sets; Amanchu! Season 1 from Anime Limited, Fate/Stay Night [Heaven's Feel] I.presage flower from Aniplex, Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works] Box Set 1 from Aniplex, and GATE from Sentai Filmworks. I'm also going to try and acquire Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal's collector's edition but at this moment the publisher has temporarily stopped their online pre-orders for the meantime. New Danganronpa V3 has also been ordered since it's now hard to find (thanks NISA).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive