Links

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Q4 Pickup Update

I figured I'll post an update regarding my plans for the future pickups between now and the end of the year. While my occasional plans are the same as last year, it's going to be slightly more difficult to handle. I made a list of my personal thoughts on what I will be considering to do for the next four months:

Anime/Manga related:

 - All of the pre-orders will be kept. There's no point in getting rid of them since most of them are most definitely going to be unavailable in an instant. I have a good general idea on how likely these type of shows will sell. In fact Attack on Titan Part 2: Limited Edition + Artbox has already sold out and I got Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition at the cheapest price possible so I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

 - Because of the careful budgeting, not every possible item will be picked up. I'll be delaying the Anime Limited titles for now and if I have enough I can get one of them if possible (probably going to be Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise). I will try and get Blood-C, Blood Lad, K, Nisemonogatari & Shakugan no Shana Season 3 if possible.

Real Life related:

 - Social wise, I'm not going to upgrade my internet since, in all honestly, last time I did it was because Crunchyroll wasn't buffering properly and it didn't make much of a difference anyway. I also won't continue with Amazon Prime because the prices for everything (aside from video games) are close to SRP and they barely even get reduced at all which is strange because it wasn't like that 2 seasons ago.

 - Unlike last year I won't be buying so many live action films with the exception for maybe a couple depending on the situation.

 - I still have NUS Extra for another year so I can still save up. I'll be using this for ODEON since it's 25% off the tickets. I also won't be going to Cineworld as much due to the prices and tram costs.

 - Food wise, this one is going to be interesting. Last year I had to put up with a mixed reception for my flatmates and I generally tried to avoid the Kitchen as much as possible. This year is different because I'm with my friends (which is why living conditions is better for a 2nd Year student) so I've got more freedom to choose what to eat but they are expensive (depends on the type of meal). Lunch is usually sorted anyway so that's not a particular issue to cover (£3-4 a day isn't that bad). I also will try not to snack often (it's addictive and a waste of money).

Any good news though?

 - Since I'm with my mates for the second year, I'll have access to Netflix and I will continue to use Crunchyroll and PlayStation Plus.

Hope you all understand my plans for the next few months. I am taking a big risk since I haven't got a proper job yet (next year I can guarantee thanks to Work Placement). If I get lucky and find a mini job with pay then I may consider.

7 comments:

  1. You been busy budgeting too? Since I live at home, I requesting £1500 split between 3 terms instead of the £3000 something they offered, Lucky I saved up money for the big October pre-orders for me, both FT parts and DBZ S8. I had to cancel Devil is a part timer and ACMI S1 blu-ray. And I have had to drop a few comics from my comic pull list to push my monthly budget back to £15.

    Sadly, everyone hates ODEON so I never got to use the 25% off at all. 5% amazon off is pretty nifty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad to hear with Part-Timer and ACMI. I'm saving ACMI until something happens with the UK since the consistency is all over the place for Funimation's sets.

      I've went to ODEON quite a few times (it's next door to the University after all) and I felt it was okay. The screens are small in contrast to Cineworld (which also has IMAX, my god the size of the room still blows my mind). At least they sell posters, both the simple ones wrapped up and those used under the 'Now Showing/Coming Soon' signs.

      But luckily I made a deal with my dad, he'll be giving me some cash before I head off to last the weeks prior to the maintenance arrival. I'll need it to pay off Attack on Titan and Gurren Lagann fortunately (I did have the cash for Gurren but I spent part of it to get Love Live! since it was the only opportunity to get the series).

      I'm still unsure about Prime, the student deal is personally worth it given it's £39 instead of £70 I think and as a trial it lasted 6 months for free. But I'm hoping they'll reduce the prices because it's ridiculous.

      Delete
    2. They sell posters? I did not know that. How much they charge?

      You getting the box version of AoT?

      Good reminder, need to cancel student membership trial. I hardly buy from Amazon anymore to justify a prime membership, yeah most of there stuff hardly moves now, I can get the similar deals physically shopping and that way I do not have to wait for delivery, thankfully the marketplace is still awesome.

      Delete
    3. I recall the standard posters were £3 on it's own or '2 for £5'. I got 2 Godzilla 2014 posters with that. As for the other ones they vary but I think they were fairly cheap.

      Yes I did manage to get my order for the Ender Box edition. When I saw it appear on Rightstuf I knew that it would sell out in an instant since everyone was demanding Funimation to put it out for the Limited Edition version and available outside the Shop Funimation (since it's restricted to US & Canada). I also didn't think United Publications would get the stock for it since it sold out in a few days. It's probably going to get caught by customs but I've reminded my parents about it in advance they said they'll pay off the VAT + £8 charge if it happens (I assume relatives with IDs can get the parcel in the post office or unless they bring it on the doorstep and pay it there).

      As for deals, I generally like HMV for their live-action prices. There's a lot of 2 for £25 on newer films plus 3 for £20/5 for £30 on dozens of others that convinces me to get a Pure HMV card to save up. As for games, well the prices on Amazon are fairly good but if the format is region free chances are the item is from Region 1 (USA) - though it's not an issue for PS3 & PS4 thanks to the multiple account system on the consoles.

      Delete
  2. Oh dayum that pretty cheap, do you just buy them over the counter? my LCS charges £3 per poster too, but sadly they carry much film posters.

    Yeah, AoT is crazy popular probably explains why it is pretty cheap on UP1 (standard that is), FUNi are going to make a killing, sadly I have no interest in AoT, made it up to ep 6 and just was not doing it for me, I did not like the animation too.

    I was trying to import a PS4 from America to be able to play region locked blu's since games are region free, sadly Parents were vehemently against it, I was paying for the console anyway and said I will pay all customs fee's, but they were like too risky or whatever, that it's fine me importing blu's but not something as big as a PS4. As you know I gots a blu ray drive for my laptop, after the whole Fairy Tail debacle (like wtf FUNi) and it can play locked BD's (yay!) so not a problem now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I paid them over at the counter.

      That's quite clever about getting the US PS4 since the games are region free and you could simply make multiple accounts for any region, and not to mention Region A disc compatibility. I never thought of that. Though the only issue would be the TV compatibility (shouldn't be an issue given HDTVs can handle 50/60Hz and NTSC/PAL tech) and plug type. I was originally going to get a PS4 at launch but I decided to wait and bought a Beyond Two Souls/Last of Us PS3 Bundle instead since there were a ton of games I could get on that format (still building the collection though, very slowly..).

      In case you didn't know I also changed the region on my laptop to play Region A/1 discs. I didn't see a point on having the laptop set to UK when I already have a PS3 that does the same thing.

      Delete
  3. PS4 games keep getting delayed, killed it for me, now Arkham Knight is schedule for June, and the new Dragon Ball sometime in 2015 (though tbf there never was a release date for this), I am yet to play a game on the PS4 and I bough it ways back. And man does the blu-ray player suck, why change play and pause from X to O? Whose bright idea was that? Also the fact that it close to never resumes were I leave off, Only exception being the Supernatural BD's. Lets hope Arkham Knight makes it worth getting a PS4.

    I never changed nothing, for some reason it just started playing Fairy Tail, which got my hopes that it wasnt locked, so I checked and it was indeed locked, but the blu-ray icon appeared on the ps3 so I got all excited lol I went out and got an AVI and Aux cable to hook my laptop to the Tv and it worked like a charm, but it is a bloody hassle though lol.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

About this blog

My photo
Member of the Anime UK News forum, and also once part of the Sheffield Hallam Visual Arts society throughout 2013-2017. Been collecting anime since 2012 and supported the anime distributors ever since. Also been hanging around on the Blu-ray forum and Fandom Post forums.

Blog Archive